The side effects from cancer and cancer treatments can be numerous and vary depending on the person. Patients may experience pulmonary, digestive, pain management and numerous other issues. One of the most common issues is damage to the lymphatic system, which often results in a condition called Lymphedema. Lymphedema is swelling in the arm or leg because the damaged lymph nodes cannot drain properly.
Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) program
HealthSouth’s Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) program is a gentle and safe method of cleansing the body’s tissues, reducing swelling. This treatment is also used to help more than 60 other medical conditions.
Benefits of MLD:
- Stimulates the lymphatic system, enhancing the immune system
- Relaxes the sympathetic nervous system and assists the patient in relaxation and decreasing stress
- Gentle precise motions of MLD assists in alleviating pain by decreasing the pain signals sent to the brain
- Cleanses the body by removal of metabolic wastes, toxins, bacteria, excess water and proteins
- Speeds up the body’s natural healing time
- Helps decrease the visibility of scars and helps prevent scar tissue formation
Cancer patients may also benefit from a host of other therapies depending on the complications they are facing. HealthSouth has an onsite physiatrist, dietician, rehabilitation nurses, and occupational, physical and speech therapists that all work as a team to address a patient’s problems. We also help educate patients and their families on exercises and treatments they can do to help prevent future problems and symptoms.
Find a location near you.