Amputation is the removal of a limb. It can result from an accident, but more commonly, amputation is a surgical treatment for a limb that is no longer functional due a defect, disease, injury, or severe and unrelenting pain. "
For the best outcome and prognosis, a patient who has had an amputation needs specialized help in adapting and returning to a normal life.
How rehabilitation can make a difference
HealthSouth offers pre-and-post prosthetic rehabilitation tailored to the individual needs of the patient. Recovery may include all or a combination of the following:
- Physical therapy to strengthen surviving muscles and retrain them for movement and walking
- Occupational therapy for upper body strength and improved skills
- Therapy specific to training for everyday prosthetic (artificial limbs) usage
- Counseling services to help patients adjust to the emotional challenges a new amputee faces
- Prosthetist for custom fabrication, fitting and training with the patient’s custom made prosthesis
Find a location near you.