The AutoAmbulator® is a sophisticated treadmill featuring a body weight supported ambulation designed to help patients safely relearn natural walking patterns.
The AutoAmbulator’s innovative technology
Designed with many safety features, the AutoAmbulator safely places the patient in a standing position while robotics assist the patient’s legs to walk on a treadmill. Sensors continuously monitor walking patterns, changing power and speed according to the patient’s movement ability.
- Robotic legs generate the power needed to safely simulate normal walking patterns
- Therapists can safely adjust the amount of weight bearing to each patient’s tolerance
- Walking speed can be varied to patient’s ability and gradually increased to reproduce walking patterns that reflect normal walking
- To eliminate injury risks, sensors automatically shut down the machine when an adverse event occurs, such as a severe spasm or if the patient’s foot does not strike the treadmill properly
Who can benefit from treatment with the AutoAmbulator?
Whether an individual has been recently injured or unable to walk for years, the AutoAmbulator can improve function.
The AutoAmbulator has improved abilities for patients with:
The AutoAmbulator is created by HealthSouth
HealthSouth is doing more than offering the latest rehabilitative technology, we’re creating them. The Food and Drug Administration granted HealthSouth permission to begin using its own innovation – the AutoAmbulator – in 2002.
* This technology may not be available at all HealthSouth hospitals.