Healthsouth is a great place to practice medicine. As one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers specializing in rehabilitation, HealthSouth’s priority is to deliver high quality patient care. Our team of experts has extensive experience in today’s most advanced therapeutic methods and technologies.
Practicing in a HealthSouth hospital offers a physiatrist the opportunity to lead an interdisciplinary clinical team providing intensive rehabilitation and a wide range of specialized programs. This differentiates this practice environment from the average therapy program offered by skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) that have named themselves “rehabilitation centers”.
HealthSouth PM&R Physician Description
For all locations, PM&R Physician will establish a private practice to include a caseload of medically complex inpatient rehabilitation patients and an outpatient rehabilitation practice if he or she chooses. The Physiatrist will set up a relationship with an independent billing company and retain 100% of his/her own billing and collections. Healthsouth hospitals are extremely busy with high patient volumes – HealthSouth has its own well-trained outreach teams that identify appropriate inpatient rehabilitation candidates from surrounding areas.
- MD or DO with state medical license or willingness to obtain state license
- Board certification in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Patient-centered commitment to excellence
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Hospital-based physiatry experience preferred but not required
- Interest in being a part of a thriving community
Why Set Up a Practice At a HealthSouth Hospital?
- High Income potential
- High patient volumes
- State of the art equipment
- Freedom to run your own practice
- Professional fulfillment through gratifying patient mix
- Team atmosphere with full-time employed therapists and nurses
- Physician-friendly hospital executives and collegial environment
- Corporate support to facilitate available resources for regulatory compliance
- Opportunities for hospital-based rental of office space and clinical space
- Contractual opportunities for medical directors and program directors
- Family-friendly locations around the country
- Reasonable call schedule shared with other physicians
- Income support available in certain locations
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does it mean to establish a private practice?
The Physiatrist will set up his/her own private practice and retain ALL of his/her own billing and collections as well as all other responsibilities in running and maintaining a private practice.
How do I set up a private practice at a Healthsouth facility?
It’s easier than you think. A few simple steps and you’re off and running.
- Hire an independent billing service company. They will in turn ….
- Complete applications for insurance companies to be a provider
- Obtain or update your NPI (National Provider Identifier)
- Enroll you with Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross & Blue Shield, Aetna, etc.
- Set you up with CAQH, a universal credentialing company
- Obtain a PO Box
- Interface with your malpractice carrier to obtain coverage
- Procure personal Health Insurance
- Procure malpractice insurance
- Set up a retirement plan with an investment advisor (if you so desire)
- Establish licensure-Medical, DEA (State and Federal)
- Apply for a business license
- Apply for privileges at the HealthSouth hospital
- Furnish a copy of your CV and licensure to apply for privileges at other hospitals
Local Q&A support is available from HealthSouth hospital team members.
Can I consult with other HealthSouth physician independent contractors?
Absolutely. We are more than happy to connect you with a PM&R physician who is in private practice at a HealthSouth facility. Having such a conversation will answer your questions and reassure you that taking the steps described above is a straightforward process that leads to a gratifying independent medical practice in a collegial environment.
Contact a Recruiter Today!
HealthSouth has a dedicated Physician recruiter available to answer any questions that you may have.